Connect Talks: Scaling Impact Globally w/ Johan Attby and Alex Bakir (General Partners, Norrsken Accelerator)
In this edition of Connect Talks, Johan Attby, Alex Bakir and Naimul Abd deep dive into how to scale impact globally.
Welcome to our fireside chat with the General Partners of Norrsken Accelerator
Norrsken is a non-profit impact ecosystem connecting founders with the capital, knowledge and network they need to make saving the world their business.
Norrsken Accelerator is the world’s leading accelerator for impact startups.
In this fireside chat, we deep dive into the the big idea behind the accelerator, how it works, and the vision of the General Partners.
🎤 Distinguished Guests
Johan Attby, General Partner, Norrsken Accelerator
Johan is a serial entrepreneur who founded Tific (AI-platform for tech support, acquired by Plumchoice, Inc.) and Fishbrain (world’s largest community for sport fishing with 15 million users) and scaled companies in both Sweden and Silicon Valley. Also an angel investor, board member, advisor and speaker. Awarded “Founder of the Year” in Sweden in 2015. MSc in Math & Physics and started a PhD in AI – long before the hype – which he never completed as he found building companies was more fun.
Alex Bakir, General Partner, Norrsken Accelerator
Alex is an investor turned operator. He started out investing in climate tech and impact start-ups @ Omidyar Network, was the VP Product at space technology company Planet Labs (IPO) and Managing Director at Rewire (acquired by Remitly). He studied an MBA at Stanford, MA International Economics at Johns Hopkins and undergrad at Cambridge University.
💡 Talk Itinerary
- Tell us about yourselves and what drove you to lead the Norrsken Accelerator?
- What’s the vision behind the accelerator and how it fits into the Norrsken ecosystem?
- What criteria do you look for when selecting impact startups? What’s the geographic and verticals spread?
- How does the upfront investment help startups? What do they mostly use this for?
- How is the program structured? What are its key components? What are your expectations from the founders?
- What are some common challenges that impact startups face when trying to scale globally? How do you help them?
- How do you ensure diversity and inclusion within the portfolio, both in terms of the startups and the mentors involved in the program?
- What role do you believe technology plays in advancing the impact sector?
- Connect is Sweden’s largest network of private investors – how could Connect & Norrsken partner up to strengthen the ecosystem?
- What trends do you observe in the impact startup space? What are some key challenges or gaps to address?
- What advice do you have for startup founders looking to create a meaningful impact globally?
- Looking ahead, what are your aspirations for Norrsken Accelerator?
🎙️ Moderated by Naimul Abd
Naimul Abd is the CEO of Connect Öst. He is on a mission to connect Entrepreneurs with Capital, Competence, and Connections. He is a serial ecosystem builder and the Nordics lead for global ecosystems including Founder Institute, Nutty Ventures, Startup Grind, and Founders Live.
🗓️ Upcoming Talks
- 13th December: Sofia Breitholtz, CEO | Reach for Change
- 20th December: Thomas Bigagli | Partner Plug and Play Ventures
🌐 About Connect Talks
Connect Talks is a catalyst for ideas, inspiration, and impact. Hosted by Connect Öst, we bring top investors, entrepreneurs, and thought leaders to facilitate a dynamic exchange of experiences and perspectives with the Connect universe and the broader startup and tech community worldwide.
This is a digital event. Zoom link will be sent to those who register for the event.
For questions, speaking opportunities, partnerships, or learning more about Connect Öst, reach out to Naimul Abd.